DIY home renovations are “hot” in Perth and across Australia. However, DIY home renovations can be dangerous, especially if your home was built between 1945 and the late 1990’s. Here are some things to watch out for.
The biggest danger to you and your family is asbestos. It can be found in many elements of a home, such as paint, roofing, insulation, fireproofing and cement. If you are not careful, you can expose yourself and your family to asbestos while tearing down or cutting into many parts of your home.
Asbestos, once regarded as “safe,” has been linked to lung cancer, mesothelioma, asbestosis and emphysema. These conditions range from fatal to life-threatening. All diminish your lifestyle because they make it harder for you to breathe.
Think about it: a DIY project designed to give your children a better place to live could end up sentencing them to early death or a diminished life.
Sometimes, well-meaning DIY builders make mistakes that can undermine the structure of a home. This can cause thousands of dollars to repair later and cause extensive damage to the entire home.
You may get “into” a DIY job, only to find out that your wiring and/or plumbing are faulty. It can cost a lot to get them up to code. Neither is a good candidate for DIY work, but it is crucial that any electrical work be left to a qualified electrician. Otherwise, faulty wiring could end up burning your house down.
Call the Best Home Renovation Experts in Perth
If you are doing a major renovation, call Next Level Extensions today. We have more than 70 years’ experience in providing home renovations to Perth area homeowners. We complete all renovations without exposing anyone to harmful materials that may be lurking in your home. We can dispose of asbestos or lead paint for you.
To learn more or for an appointment, call us today: 1300 948 094.